Saturday, October 31, 2009

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream

To wrap up our evening after trick-or-treating, I made pumpkin pie ice cream this afternoon. S, who loves pumpkin pie, particularly loved this ice cream. I got the recipe from Food Network, specifically the recipe given by Nick Holcomb 2002 for FoodTV.com's Ice Cream Cook-Off Competition, but to be honest, I changed so many steps and ingredients in this recipe that I'm going to have to call it "inspired" by that recipe and not actually that recipe! We made this ice cream in our mega ice cream ball (it made 3 1/2 cups of liquid, so right about a quart of ice cream), and I halved the original recipe. Usually I follow a recipe as closely as I can the first time I make it, but between life, time, and food allergies, this recipe doesn't much resemble the original even though it was the first time making it for me. Here's the original: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/pumpkin-pie-ice-cream-recipe/index.html. It called for chilling overnight before making it into ice cream, which wasn't going to happen since I wanted it for tonight, and it called for half-and-half and whipping cream, both of which are not allowed when allergic to dairy! Here is my revamped version of pumpkin pie ice cream. It was really good, and I'm envisioning it in various forms: drizzled with caramel and sprinkled with toasted or candied pecans, put into a gingersnap crust to make a pumpkin ice cream pie, made into a milkshake, served alongside warm gingerbread. Mmmmmmm.

3 c. Silk soy creamer
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c. white sugar
1/4 c. packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves

1. In a medium bowl and using a fork, mix together the white sugar and brown sugar, then whisk in the creamer and vanilla until the sugar is dissolved into the creamer.
2. In a separate bowl, stir together the pumpkin and the spices.
3. Add the pumpkin spice mixture to the cream sugar mixture, and whisk to combine all of it thoroughly.
4. Pour into an ice cream maker and follow the maker's directions to freeze the cream base into ice cream.
5. Once made into ice cream, eat immediately or freeze in a separate container.

No comments:

Post a Comment