Friday, January 15, 2010

A Reminder to Love Your Freezer

Yesterday was Thursday, which meant that it was my normal Thursday (read: mild chaos). Honestly, I cooked nothing fresh yesterday. Breakfast was pancakes and bacon from the freezer. Lunch was tater tots and bananas for C and leftover macaroni and cheese for me. Then work with a snack of cranberry pumpkin bread baked on Tuesday, and when I got home late and my tummy was growling, I pulled an already grilled small burger and a bun from the freezer, microwaved for a minute and a half, and had myself a snack that was faster (and cheaper) than drive-through. I love my freezer!

I've also been feeding my freezer. Bags of cubed ham and mashed sweet potatoes from Monday, pureed pumpkin from a pumpkin I baked on Tuesday, macaroni and cheese on Wednesday, another ham (this one 8 pounds) in there too yesterday. For as much as I pull out, I put in too, and my freezers are always full.

Tonight is pizza night, and I even remembered to get a bag of baby spinach and some other fresh veggies at the store, so we can have salads with our pizza, completely justifying the pizza. Sort of. I pulled a couple of pizza kits minus the dough from the freezer this morning, and they will be thawed by this evening and ready for the fresh dough I'll have ready and waiting. Tonight I'm also experimenting more with oatmeal in the crockpot, using a new recipe for cherry oatmeal. I really didn't care for the crust that formed the last time I used the crockpot, and the fact that my 2 quart crockpot doesn't have a removable crock made clean up a pain in the rear. This time I'll be trying out the more old fashioned method of hot water bath in the crockpot and see how that turns out. I'll post the results tomorrow! And as a side note, the recipe makes 7 cups of oatmeal, and since A doesn't like to eat much breakfast and S and C are suspicious of oatmeal, I'll be freezing my leftovers, ready to microwave for a snack or breakfast anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment