Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Another Split Family Dinner

It's Tuesday again, which means A coming home at 5:30 so I can dart out the door to my part-time job, all resulting in a split family dinner. The crockpot is our solution once again! Two small children isn't going to stop us from having complex grown-up foods, but we do try to integrate something into each meal that everyone will eat, often a bread or a fruit since our kids are iffy on the meats and vegetables. Tonight's dinner: turkey brats with spaghetti sauce, peppers, and onions.

I have loads of turkey sausages and turkey brats in the freezer that need to be used (they are over a year old). Digging through my very cold freezer, I found the bag of brats but the bag of sausages was buried under some chicken pieces, so I'm opting to use the brats. I have fresh peppers in the fridge, but I also have some sliced peppers and onions in the freezer that I'd like to replace with this year's crop, so those are getting used instead. Brown the brats, then put brats, onions, peppers, and jar of spaghetti sauce in a 4 qt crockpot, stir gently to combine, then cook on low for 6 hours. I'll serve with fresh rolls for sandwiches for A and me and the kids can eat with peanut butter and jam for dinner unless they are adventurous enough to try the main course. Round out with applesauce, carrots, and celery sticks, and we'll manage yet another split family dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment