Thursday, August 27, 2009

More Crockpot Dinners

First, let me say that the swiss chard recipe I posted yesterday was quite good. It isn't something I'll crave, but I'll heap a big serving on my plate when it's served at dinner! The only other thing I did was to add the garlic when I added the swiss chard stalks to ensure that it didn't burn. It was a very nice dish, made all the tastier that I felt guilt free even with the bacon and bacon grease because there were so many greens and they are so good for you!

Now today is turning into a hectic and very difficult day between meet 'n' greet at the school this afternoon, story time this morning, and S's autism coming out to show itself due to the overstimulation of grandparent visit and school starting. I'm going simple and pulling out the crockpot to make some classic hamburger bbq. We'll probably eat ours rolled up in tortillas (those tortillas really hold everything in!), and A will probably spread nacho sauce on his too. Add some carrots, celery sticks, green onions, and a handful of chips, and I'm calling it dinner. Even nicer: I will freeze leftover bbq in 1/2 cup portions which will be a super quick heat and eat later!

Hamburger BBQ
3 lb lean ground beef (use slightly more if using fattier ground beef such as 73/27 or even 80/20)
1 large onion, chopped
3 6-oz cans tomato paste
9 T ketchup
2 tsp worcestshire sauce
3 tsp prepared yellow mustard
3 T brown sugar
3 T cider vinegar
3 tsp tabasco sauce
optional: 1-2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
Brown the ground beef and drain the fat. Add in the chopped onion and cook just until the onion is softened.
Put all ingredients in a crock pot and stir to combine. Cook on low for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. It can stay in the crockpot for many hours safely, making this a great party, potluck, or on the go food!
This recipe is modified from a sloppy joe recipe on www.Recipezaar.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment