Sunday, December 6, 2009

Food Gifts You Can Make Yourself

Yes, I do lots of canning. Yes, I do lots of baking. Yes, I also understand that not everyone else does! I am trying two new flavored vinegars for this year's goody boxes: spiced vinegar and cranberry orange vinegar. The spiced vinegar is the more expensive one to try since it uses some spices I don't routinely use, such as mace and whole cardamom. The cranberry orange vinegar is very easy and less expensive. No, I don't know exactly how either one will turn out. I have made both this evening and will let them sit in a cool, dark spot for 2-3 weeks to let the flavors meld and strengthen, then strain them and put them into cruets for the goody boxes (since I do so many boxes, I'll be purchasing a few cases of basic 6 oz cruets from Sam's Club later this week, nothing fancy). I'll include recipe suggestions beyond a basic oil and vinegar salad dressing, although I have to say wow! oil and flavored vinegar can be great on fresh greens, steamed green beans with candied nuts, wilted greens with some crumbled bacon and sauteed red onion slices, mmmmmm. So here's the recipe for cranberry orange vinegar. I adapted the recipe from the Los Angeles Cooperative Extensive of UC Davis. Anyone want to try it with me?

12 oz bag of fresh or frozen cranberries, rinsed and sorted to get rid of any fruit that has bad spots
the peel of 2 large oranges - no pith (white part)! A vegetable peeler is very good at peeling the zest off.
1/4 cup honey or 2 T white sugar (I used honey)
1 quart distilled white vinegar

Heat all ingredients together in a large pot (preferrably with a lid to keep splatter from getting on your stove) until simmering, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes to soften and pop the cranberries, releasing their juices.
Allow the mixture to cool, then pour into a clean 1/2 gallon container with a lid. Cover with the lid. Store in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks to allow the flavors to blend.
After 2 weeks, strain the mixture through a sieve, 2-3 layers of cheesecloth, or a dampened jelly bag. Discard the solids.
Pour into sanitized bottles and add lids.
May be stored at room temperature for 3-4 months, but refrigeration is preferred to retain the bright color and the best flavor.
For more great fruit vinegar ideas: http://celosangeles.ucdavis.edu/Common_Ground_Garden_Program/Fruit_Flavored_Vinegars.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment