Monday, December 21, 2009

Using Up the Problem Jam

I've had a cold for the last couple of days, which has resulted in lots of fast-to-fix, no fuss meals like spaghetti and garlic bread, hamburger barbeque from the freezer, and take out Chinese (which we ate and decided we could make it better). Tonight is going to be pork chops and various vegetables with ginger lime glaze and jasmine rice. My inspiration for this meal: a jam that never did set like it was supposed to. I made this great tasting ginger lime jam, but it never got thicker than a sauce. I even reprocessed it to no avail. Solution: give in and call it what it is, a glaze. I will brown boneless, thick cut pork chops in a skillet (olive oil, medium heat, about four minutes on each side), remove the pork chops, then add to the pan a dash of olive oil and some vegetables like julienned water chestnuts, carrots, and ginger and thin wedges of onions, some steamed broccoli florets. Stir fry, add the pork chops back in, and pour some of the ginger lime sauce over everything, cooking for another minute to let the flavors meld. Serve over hot jasmine rice, and voila, dinner in 15 minutes.

So what do you do if haven't made a jam that refuses to become a jam? Exactly what I do with the last of my jam in the jar - add a little juice to the jar, put the lid back on, and shake to combine the jam and the juice. You can add some herbs to it if you want. I like to use citrus juices for the bite, and I especially like pairings like apricot preserves and orange juice, raspberry jam and orange juice or lime juice, blueberry preserves and lime juice, orange marmalade and lemon or orange juice. Use as a glaze on poultry or pork, stir fry or baked meats. Spoon the sauce over steaming mounds of fragrant rice or sop up with feathery light rolls. What a delightful way to use up the last spoonful or two of jam in the bottom of the jar or in my case, the problem jam that refused to become a jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment