Monday, December 14, 2009

Peanut Butter Chip Brownies Really Are Easy!

Tonight I baked peanut butter chip brownies. The brownies were an experimental twist on a tried and true recipe. So many people are daunted by the idea of making brownies without a box mix, but they aren't any more difficult and can be so much better than the box! The brownie recipe I *always* use is the one from the inside of the Baker's unsweetened chocolate box: Baker's One Bowl Brownies. This time I did my usual but when it came to pouring the batter into the pan, I only poured in half, topped with the chips, then spread the remaining batter over the chips. Having had them, I can now say that I'll just stir in the chips and pour in the pan like usual. I will also be making these again - they were wonderful! Don't doubt the need for the vanilla - vanilla enhances chocolate!

4 squares Baker's unsweetened chocolate (4 oz)
3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine (I've always used Blue Bonnet margarine)
2 c. sugar
3 eggs, beaten lightly (or 3/4 c. egg substitute)
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. flour
1/3 c. peanut butter chips (I used Reese's)
1/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Hershey's)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan (1/2" thick brownies) or an 8x8 pan (1"+ thick brownies).
2. Microwave the chocolate and the butter in a large microwaveable bowl on high for 2 minutes. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. (This will take a couple of minutes. Keep stirring until you have a thick, creamy chocolate spread that looks a lot like icing.)
3. Stir in sugar.
4. Stir in eggs and vanilla.
5. Stir in flour.
6. Stir in chips.
7. Spread into prepared pan. Bake 30-35 minutes (may need to bake for 38 minutes if using an 8x8 pan) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with fudgy crumbs clinging.

No comments:

Post a Comment